3 Days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking Safari & Canopy Walk in Rwanda
The 3 Days Nyungwe national park Safari with F&M Adventure Safaris will see you through the most intact rain forest in the east and central Africa.
A natural forest aged thousands of years, covering over 970 square kilometers, found in the south western part of Rwanda bordering Burundi in the south and Congo in the west.
The forest offers a wide range of activities; Chimpanzee tracking, colobus tracking, canopy walk, birding, numerous hiking trails and village/tea peaking experience.
Day 1: Arrival, Kigali City tour, drive to Nyungwe forest national park
Warm welcome greeting from F&M Adventure Safaris representative (driver guide) fallowed by a detailed briefing and a discussion of the itinerary.
We have a tour of all historical places in Kigali, like the city, Kigali genocide museum,
We drive to Nyamirambo, the old Kigali, walk through the area and visit the local market, meet and greet the locals. We then go for lunch and taste the local cuisine.
We then embark on the winding road to Nyungwe forest National Park, arriving in the evening.
Day 2: Early Morning departure for Chimpanzee tracking
After an early breakfast, we assemble at Nyngwe National park offices for briefing and grouping, its here where we pick the ranger guide who will lead you into the forest for the excursion.
Chimp tracking can be a little tough but very exciting when you meet the close cousins.
Equipped with rain gear, enough drinking water and some snacks make the exercise smooth.
Upon meeting the chimpanzee you will have a complete hour with them.
Return to the lodge after tracking.
Day 3: Canopy Walk/Columbus monkey tracking and return to Kigali
After a sunrise breakfast, we drive to Winka visitor center for the adventurous walk above Nyungwe forest.
The canopy lies 50m above the forest and over 200m walk way that gives you a fresh air and magical sightings of the forest, different primate species are also seen during this walk, like the black and white colobus, mountain monkey.
After the walk, enjoy the beautiful scenic drive through the forest and tea plantations on the edge of the forest, stop in Huye for a hot lunch and later proceed to Kigali for your flight or some other activities.
End of 3 Days Nyungwe Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Rwanda.
What You need during Chimpanzee Trekking
- Water: Chimpanzee trekking can be very tiresome and you need to refill your tank as the trek goes on. It is advisable to park a few water filtration tablets before you come for the trek.
- Boots: You will need good waterproof comfortable shoes. Some times it rains during the trek, so skid proof shoes can come in handy.
- Rain Jacket: You are advised to carry rain jacket because if rains very often in Volcanoes National park and Nyungwe Forest
- Snack: You can carry a light snack to give you some energy during the walk in the forest
- Trouser and Shirts The forest are covered with thick undergrowth, therefore light trousers and long sleeved shirts are advised.
- Socks: You will have to tuck in the trousers into the socks to avoid insects crawling inside.
- Gloves: You will need Gardening gloves because you will be grabbing tree branches, leaves, name it, and some can be thorny.
- Camera: Carry a good camera to capture this lifetime experience
What is included in the 3 Days Nyungwe safari Cost
- 2 nights accommodation around National Parks
- Bottled Water
- Chimpanzee Tracking Permit
- Canopy Walk
- Bottled Water
- Experienced English speaking Driver
- 4X4 Safari car for Transportation
- Tips for Driver and Guides
- Air tickets
- Drinks from the Accommodation
Gorilla And Chimpanzee Differences
A average grown Chimpanzee weighs between 40kg to 64kg(Male) and 27kg to 50kg(female) While a Mountain gorilla(Male) weighs between 130kg to 219kg and 63kg to 115kg(Female).
Chimps stand at a height of 3.3ft to 4.6ft while gorillas stand at a height of 4 to 6 feet.
Chimps eat mostly Fruits especially ripe ones, Leaves, Insects, small animals, birds, eggs, honey.
Gorilla feed mostly on Bamboo shoots, other plant shoots, roots, fruits, tree bark.
Chimps live to about 27 year and can sometimes reach 60 years, while the average life span of a mountain gorilla is 35 years.
Chimps have a gestation period of 8 months and infancy ends at about 4 to 5 years, and also they give birth every 5 to 6 years.
Mountain gorillas have a gestation of 8.5 months, females start producing at age 10 and they give birth between 2 and 6 offsprings their entire life.